Causes & Risk factors
Some of the causes of primary hypogonadism are as under
Some of the causes of central hypogonadism are as under
- Some autoimmune diseases
- Some infections
- Kidney and liver diseases
- Developmental and genetic disorders: The most common cause of the primary hypogonadism is Klinefelter's syndrome in males and in females; the most common cause is Turner syndrome.
- Some surgeries
- Excess of iron in the body
- Deficiency of some nutrients
- Some medications like opiated and steroids
- Weight loss, especially if it issignificant and in much less time
- Some tumors can also lead to hypogonadism.Common tumors affecting the pituitary are craniopharyngioma (in children) andprolactinoma (in adults).