The aim of the treatment is to establish the free flow of urine and reduce the swelling of the kidneys. Preventing of pain and infection is also important. The damage to the kidneys is reduced and cause is identified.
- The treatment is mainly depended on the underlying cause. Like in the case of kidney stone, the patient may receive supportive pain control and allowed to pass the stone on his own if the bladder is not completely blocked by the stone. In case the patient develops infection, emergency surgical intervention may be required. Kidney stones can be broken down using lasers and sound waves.
- A swollen prostrate may be treated surgically and it may require removal of some or all of the prostrate.
- In cervical cancer or prostrate cancer which is associated with hydronephrosis, it can be treated using chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery
- If pregnancy is the cause, then it is better to wait till the pregnancy takes in natural course. The bladder can be drained regularly using a catheter.
- Antenatal Hydronephrosis: It does not require any treatment as they usually resolve on their own, but however if it does not resolve then the underlying cause has to be treated.