Complication of Disease
- Malignancy: The growths of Maffucci syndrome turn cancerous. In particular, the bone cancer called chondrosarcoma may develop, especially in the skull.
- There is always an increased risk of cancers like ovarian or liver cancer post Maffucci syndrome.
- Bleeding: Hemangioma can bleed leading to blood loss.
- Fractures and related complications: Mal-alignment, Non union, cross union, unhealed fracture, limb shortening, pain, infections and so on.
- Compromised physical functions: Patient may become disabled for one or more activities as a result of poor skeletal structure post fractures.
- Psychological status: Limited socialization post fracture and poor cosmetic appearance. Disturbed psyche is a possibility.