- Painkillers: Paracetamol, Ibuprofen. Aspirin if given should be used with caution.
- Antibiotics: Amoxicillin is a first choice. Other antibiotics used are azithromycin cefdinir, cefuroxime, cefpodoxime, amoxicillin clavulanate (Augmentin)
- Local heat therapy: Warm padding kept over ear
- Eardrum repair using a patch:Its an OPD (Outpatient department) procedure. Doctor applies a chemical on ends on the tear to facilitate its growth and then covers it with a patch(of paper, muscle, fat, etc).
- Tympanoplasty:It is a surgical method of repairing the eardrum rupture with a graft obtained from the patient’s own tissue. It is performed on an OPD basis.
Care of ruptured ear drum:
- Patient should keep his ear dry by covering the ear with cotton plug, using a shower cap while bathing and by avoiding diving or swimming.
- Ears should be cleaned carefully without a use of any sharp objects.
- Blowing nose forcefully is avoided.